× Search
Saturday, March 25, 2023

Food Processes | Environmental Health | County of Riverside

Department of Environmental Health, County of Riverside, Food Processes

Special Food Processes

You will need approval to do any Special Food Process, and you may be required to submit a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) Plan.  A HACCP Plan shows hazards and food safety control measures for processed foods.  A good HACCP Plan shows the “flow” of food from the beginning of the process all the way to selling to the customer.  It includes guidelines on how the food will be received, processed, held, and delivered to the consumer in a safe manner and varies depending on the type of food product being made.

Beet Juice

Special Food Processes Permit Application & Guidance



Some Special Food Processes can be approved by the Riverside County Environmental Health Department.

If you would like to know more about submitting a HACCP Plan or getting approval for the following processes, contact Sarah Crossman at 951-766-2824 or by email

  • Bottling juice
  • Making Sushi Rice
  • Brewing Kombucha Tea
  • Making yogurt for table service
  • Operating a molluscan shellfish tank
  • Sprouting seeds or beans
  • Growing microgreens
  • Any other Special Food Process

To request a review of a HACCP plan, microbial challenge study, or lab analysis, submit a Special Process Review Application and support documentation to Sarah Crossman.

The following Special Food Processes must be approved by The Riverside County Department of Environmental Health and additional agencies such as the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA).

  • Curing
  • Smoking for preservation
  • Drying or rendering meat

The Following Special Food Processes must be approved by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), Food and Drug Branch.

  • Reduced Oxygen Packaging (ROP)
  • Variances


Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2023 Riverside County Department of Environmental Health
Back To Top