INFORMATIONAL BULLETIN NO. 31-09-DES
DISTRICT ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES DIVISION
FOOD SAFETY MANAGER CERTIFICATION
Under the California Retail Food Code, each food facilities handling non-prepackaged potentially hazardous foods is required to have at least one certified Food Safety Manager. This individual may be an owner or employee who has passed one of several recognized examinations (see the reverse of this sheet for a list of certified exam companies).
- The Riverside County Food Worker’s Certification, required of all food workers, and does not satisfy this requirement.
- Individuals who successfully pass an accredited food safety manager certification exam ARE NOT required to obtain a Riverside County Food Worker’s Certification.
- One person cannot satisfy this requirement for more than one facility, although multiple facilities directly next to each other at the same location and under the same ownership are recognized as one entity and will need only one certified food safety manager.
- The certified food safety manager must be employed by the facility, but they need not be present at all times. The certified food safety manager must train food service employees in basic food safety principles. Evidence of certification must be kept on-site at all times for review by inspectors.
- New operations and facilities that lose their certified food safety manager will have 60 days to comply with this requirement.
Each restaurant, grocery store, convenience store, delicatessen, school cafeteria, refreshment stand, commissary and mobile food facility that prepares or serves non-prepackaged potentially hazardous food must have a certified food safety manager. Facilities that handle non-prepackaged non-potentially hazardous foods may take either the exam or show adequate food safety knowledge pursuant to the types of foods handled.
Food facilities exempt from this requirement include:
- Temporary food booths
- Farmer’s markets
- Farm stands
- Produce stands selling only uncut produce
- Any food facility handling only prepackaged food
FOOD SAFETY MANAGEMENT TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION PROVIDERS
The following is a list of the certified testing companies providing Food Safety Management Certification training and certification exams meeting the requirements of the California Retail Food Code. These companies are responsible for certifying individual testing companies to give their exams. This list is not an endorsement of any company by the County of Riverside and is merely provided as a reference for finding a testing company. Please use the contact information provided to locate a testing company that meets your needs.
National Restaurant Association Education Foundation (ServSafe)
Toll Free (800) 765-2122
National Registry of Food Safety Professionals
Information about testing can also be gained from:
California Restaurant Association
Sacramento (800) 765-4842
*Document available in an alternate format upon request